The administrators of the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) have announce changes to the test effective September 22, 2023. While the changes mainly affect the duration of the test, the overall standards of the test remain intact.
What are the new changes to the GRE general test?
The following are the list of changes to expect in the test:
- The total time for the GRE test has been reduced to 1 hour, 58 minutes.
- The official GRE test scores will be delivered earlier than before. You can now expect your official score within 8 to 10 working days.
- The number of questions for the Analytical Writing has been changed from 2 essay tasks to one essay task. The duration is now 30 minutes instead of 60 minutes.
- The number of questions for the Quantitative Reasoning has been changed from 40 questions to 27 questions. The total duration is now 47 minutes instead of the 70 minutes.
- The number of questions for Verbal Reasoning has been changed from 40 questions to 27 questions. The total duration is now 41 minutes instead of the 60 minutes.
- There will be no more Unscored Section on the test
- The Scheduled 10 minutes break has also been taken off.
You can also download the official announcement from ets.org. below: